Sunday, May 6, 2012

Bank Holidays

We seem to have a number of bank holidays in May, which is great for most people, but no good for me because I normally work on a Monday and being self employed, I have to make the time up on another day.

Having said that, it is nice to have a long weekend and it has been a great few days on the boat. Last week I was away in Suffolk (family stuff) and it was nice to get back into a routine on the boat again.

Phil always laughs at me when I come back from my home county because even after only a few days away, I revert to my old accent. I have lived in the north for over 25 years now and have acquired some of the flattened northern vowels, but as soon as I go 'home ' I start speaking like 'The Singing Postman' within minutes. The singing postman was a 'hit' many many years ago and if you want to know what an East Anglian accent sounds like put 'The singing postman' into youtube and watch the video. 

Today has been beautiful and despite having loads to do (a very busy work session coming up), I went for a cycle ride along the tow path this morning.


The swans have cygnets - difficult to see from here, but the male was moving fast towards me as I took this picture so I didn't want to stay around too long.

The Bluebells are out

the canal is looking green and spring like


and very beautiful



The juxtaposition of the power station in the background with the renovated old mill is slightly incongruous


This afternoon son number 2 came over and we tried out a different pub for our tea. This pub is in the middle of the Trough of Bowland and is no where near the canal or estuary, so it was a refreshing change. The food was good and the local brew excellent and it is only 5 minutes drive away so I think it could become our local.

The song thrush was singing his heart out this evening:


He was sharing his spot with a chaffinch and I managed to get both of them in the shot.

I did take some video footage of him singing but other noise got in the way (another boater's loud music and the noise of cars on the road), I need to get up early one morning and do it then - watch this space ....
I am really enjoying these few days off on the boat as I will be away for quite a few weeks soon, travelling to Portugal, Ireland and then the Scottish Highlands, including the Isle of Skye which I am looking forward to. Maybe while I am away things will settle down on the Marina too. Other people have complained about the same things as us, so hopefully it will improve.
In view of the fact that I won't be around for a while I have tried to get things 'ship shape' before I go. I  have started to fill our third wood store with the wood we have acquired from our builder friend:


 


I've strapped the canoe to the roof ready for when we get on the move (soon I hope)




The allotment is doing well and we have planted salad stuff, herbs and strawberries at the end of our boat too:




Tomorrow is apparently going to be wet so I am glad I bought some new wellies to replace the designer ones I bought a few weeks ago which fell apart within days. These are also designer but look far more solid:



We had hoped to get in a walk this weekend, but I have been too busy. If it isn't raining too early tomorrow, we might have a quick walk in the bluebell woods where a cuckoo has been heard recently, so we will see.

A tiring day so an early night ...

Al

No comments: