Saturday, February 9, 2013

Sunshine and Wood

I have just read my last blog. Oh dear, what a rant! I feel slightly ashamed of myself for being so churlish and inhospitable. In my defence I think I have been a bit miserable because of the awful wet and dull weather we have been having lately.

I was very cheered yesterday to see bright sunshine for the first time in ages and the days are getting longer. All of a sudden, all is well with the world and I am feeling much more charitable towards other people.

We were looking after Jack the Whippet for the whole day yesterday, so we decided to incorporate a lovely sunny walk down the tow path with some wood collecting. Bringing back two pieces of wood a day was not really efficient, particularly in view of the fact that there is so much there. So Phil drove the car down and parked it on the bridge nearest to the wood pile and Jack and I met him there having walked down the tow path. We filled several sacks with it and also put some very long branches on the back seat. Phil then drove it back while Jack and I walked.

Here is our haul:
 
 
We were really frustrated about only seeing the kingfisher fleetingly the other day, so we have set up what is supposed to be a Kingfisher magnet! A long stick which they like to land on and possibly fish from. I have attached it to the jetty opposite and we have a good view from our galley window, so fingers crossed:
 
 
 














We have had marginally more success with owls. We went out owl hunting the other afternoon and saw a grand total of four! However they were all too far away to get a decent photo, two of them we saw from the car, so the photos I took were very blurred:


 
 
We won't give up though and I'm determined to get a close up shot with the new camera lens I bought in Malaysia.
 
Today we have been entertaining some very old and very good friends and I have to say I really enjoyed their company. Now it is time to watch the rugby - here's hoping that Wales beat France ;)
 
Al


No comments: