Sunday, January 4, 2015

Kingfishers

Last night was very cold and even though the wood burner was lit all night, we still felt the cold air, despite being warm in bed. Phil has a heavy cold, so I decided to get up early, get the fire up and running properly again, to warm the boat and to get out for a walk in search of a kingfisher.

I had heard that several had been seen south, but for some reason I decided to walk north up the tow path. It was a lovely morning and the colours were beautiful:



The views across to the Trough of Bowland were very special and made me want to get out on the hills for a walk, but Phil is not well enough at the moment.



















A few hundred yards later I was rewarded with a flash of bright blue hurtling along the canal and I knew I had found my kingfisher. Unfortunately, he was always too far away to get a decent picture.




 I was pleased to get a shot of him in flight.



I met a dog walker on my way back who told me that she often sees him and she showed me his regular perch, so I resolved to set up camp there one day next week and to lie in wait for him, so that I don't have to chase him along the canal.

When I came back, Phil was up and about and was well enough to do some wood chopping, so we spent a happy hour or two stocking up our wood store with logs from a tree a friend had recently felled and given to us.

All in all, it's been a great day, reinforcing again our reasons for moving to the boat. The closeness to nature and the simplicity of the life is wonderful!

A very happy Al :)

No comments: