Friday, September 28, 2012

Pottering about

The weather has been half way decent today, so I have enjoyed pottering around doing boaty chores.

I emptied the toilets,(not the best job in the world, but I don't mind it), filled the boat up with water and tidied out the bow deck area. I did some washing and hung it off the boat. We were given some wood yesterday by a builder friend of ours, so I spent a happy hour chopping it up into manageable chunks. A neighbour popped out of his boat and said 'you'll have muscles like knots in cotton doing all that sawing and chopping'. What a great expression! I must admit that I have never in my life felt so fit and I don't even have to pay gym membership!

As I was sawing, I looked over to the corner of the marina and noticed the creeper on the wall which had turned a lovely shade of red - the autumn colours are really starting to come out now:


 
 
 
 
I knew I had to do some paper work, so forced myself to sit at the computer for an hour or so, but then Jack the Whippet turned up looking for a walk:
 






You can see by the look on his face that he wasn't going to take no for an answer!
 
I decided to incorporate some blackberrying with a walk and collected enough for a crumble....
 


.... and I have to say it was sensational!!





The flavour of the blackberries mixed with some apples which I foraged from a local community orchard a few days ago was amazing.

We are now sitting in front of the wood burner, watching the Ryder Cup on the telly with Jack the Whippet lying on his new fleece giving us loving looks with those deep brown eyes, (we are dog sitting as his owner is starring in a new play tonight at a theatre near the lake district).

All I can say is that - at the moment - all is well in my world. I'm making the most of it as I am due to fly to Malaysia at the beginning of November for an eight week work stint. We are determined that before I go, we will have our trip north before we put the back canopy on and baton down the hatches for the winter.

Watch this space .....

One happy boater :)

 

No comments: