Saturday, June 16, 2012

God Save Our Queen

We had fantastic news this morning - my brother has been awarded an MBE in the Queen's birthday honours list. I am so proud! I am not really into the Monarchy but I am prepared to make an exception in this case to say 'Thank you Ma'am' !!

I have spent the day finalising plans for the next work 'slog'. I am just about there now and just have to pack for our long drive up to Scotland tomorrow.

We did something rash today!! We have always said that we needed a second car, because Phil is stuck when I am working at school or away, especially when we are moored in remote places. I mentioned a small smart car like T's. It is cheap on petrol and tax and is ideal as a runabout.

Never mind that ... Phil had seen a nice sports car for sale in our area a few weeks ago and has been dropping it into conversation persistently over the last few weeks. I have been pretending to be deaf or thick and have ignored the hints! Today he couldn't stand it any longer and since we have been married for so many years, he knew exactly when to go in for the kill !! Taking advantage of my elation at my brother's news he stopped at the garage on our way to the supermarket and showed me the car with the explanation that 'it seemed a shame not to as we were passing' - crafty ......

It is a sporty number and he said 'just right for an attractive blonde like you' !! Even more subtle blackmail as a chap on the marina who owns a big yacht had described me as such only this week and it had made me feel very puffed up !!!  Oh yes..... flattery gets him everywhere. He was on a roll and he knew it so we ended up buying it - a Mercedes 230 SLK with a retractable hard top.

Well, I suppose that is why we bought the boat - to allow us to indulge and not worry about money, but I bet I don't get to drive the sports car very often, I think he bought it for himself really!!

I am away now for a few weeks, but will try and post when I can.

Al :)

No comments: