Saturday, June 9, 2012

On the move

The weather has been so awful today that we lit the fire again. It did mean that I stayed in this morning to do some much needed paper work.

The rain started to clear away at lunchtime and we have heard that the weather is supposed to be okay tomorrow, so we are going to move the boat down to our favourite place on the canal, at the basin by the sea lock.

There are six locks to negotiate and we normally divide the tasks between us with one on the bike and cycling ahead to set the locks while the other steers the boat. The locks are very heavy and we usually get one of our lads to help us, but they are both working tomorrow, so we know we are in for a bit of a work out!

With that in mind we decided to move the car up to the new location today so that when we arrive we don't have to worry about going to get it, as we will probably be too tired!

I drove it via the back lanes which is always risky as it is a single track road, but I didn't meet anything coming the other way. I stopped at the farm to get some eggs, so that was an added bonus. I decided to walk the 4 or so miles back to our marina along the tow path as I really needed the exercise.

One of the advantages of all the rain is that everything is so green and lush and this is where we will be sailing to tomorrow:




There are several pairs of swans with cygnets on the canal:



I followed a heron down the cut:





I passed this field which I was quite cross about - it is a public right of way but the farmer has put a bull in the field:


Here is one of the locks we will be going through tomorrow:


Here is home ... for now, but soon to change for a few weeks!














More tomorrow when we finally arrive at our new mooring!

Al :)

No comments: