Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Karma

Another lovely bright, sunny, but cold day. We managed to keep the fire in all night so the boat was warm when we got up.

The chores this morning took an unexpected turn when I found a bit of a sausage roll under Phil's pillow while making the bed. This is not the first time this has happened, I have been finding bits of bacon rind, garlic bread and all sorts of scraps over the last few weeks. Needless to say Phil denied all knowledge and it was only when I mentioned it to Jack's owner this morning that all became clear. She said 'Oh no he's not started doing that again has he? I meant to warn you about that'. Apparently when he was a puppy, he would often hide tit bits of food he was given so he could eat them later!

As I was making my way to the rubbish bins I saw a cyclist coming towards the gate in full regalia, fluorescent top and all. I moved into position to challenge him - we often get people wandering around taking pictures and walking up and down the jettys, picnicing on our benches, because they think the marina looks 'pretty'. There are notices everywhere saying that the area is private, but this seems to make no difference. I often ask intruders how they would like to have people wandering up and down their front drive, or garden and plonking themselves down to have their packed lunch.

However this chap took the wind out of my sails by asking if I was Phil's wife as he had been told to seek me out by our marina caretaker, as being a keen cyclist I would very likely have the equipment to repair a puncture. I duly obliged and it turns out he was quite an interesting bloke, so we had a nice chat. His puncture had resulted from spurning the proper local cycle paths for the tow path. He was riding a road bike with totally unsuitable tyres so I gave him directions to the nearest cycle path and he was soon on his way having thanked us effusively.

That good turn was rewarded within the hour as I was walking Jack along the tow path. I couldn't believe my luck as I came upon some trees that had just been felled.






I rushed back to the boat and Jack's owner and I took a shopping trolley and a wheelbarrow and managed to get quite a lot back to our wood store. We plan to go back tomorrow and collect some more, although there may not be much left by then. We told some of our friends who are moored opposite and the tow path telegraph is swift and effective. That is fine as long as everyone gets a fair crack at it.

I have had a lovely day pottering around but must buckle down to some work tomorrow. I just find it so hard to stay indoors when the weather is good and I do need to chop up some of that wood and put it in the store to season. It will burn beautifully this time next year .........

Al ;)
 

  

No comments: