Thursday, February 2, 2012

A productive day

I have got so much done today it has been fantastic! Maybe the bright sunshine and the cold weather has energised me, but I seem to have not stopped all day!

I started the day by recording some more tracks for my website. I then prepared some soup for lunch and put a beef casserole in the slow cooker for tea. I picked up an email offering me a days work in Manchester at the beginning of March and took a 'phone call asking if I could play for a wedding in May.

I love the variety of my work and especially playing for weddings. Whether I just play while the guests are arriving, during the meal or for the actual ceremony, it is a great feeling that you are contributing to someones special day. I love also meeting with the prospective Bride and Groom and talking about their favourite music. It often involves arranging something specially for the day, I remember a wedding I played for last Christmas, which a flautist friend and I did. We had arranged 'their' song for the bride to walk up the aisle to and she was crying as we played it, (I hope it wasn't our playing!). I started filling up myself as it is such an emotional occasion. Another wedding I remember well, I had timed the bride's walk to perfection, but when it came to it she kept breaking down with emotion and had to stop every few yards to recover her composure. Luckily that time, it was only me playing so I managed to improvise a sort of middle bit and still played the final chord exactly as she arrived next to the groom.

Having forced myself to stay indoors all morning I felt justified in going out this afternoon. T and I chopped up several pallets of wood and then took the car down the back lane near to the bridge where the tree felling had taken place. Although we had told lots of people about the wood, no one had been near, so we filled the boot up, drove it back and filled our depleted wood stores with it. It won't be fit for burning for quite a few months, but it felt good to already be getting ready for next year!

It has been a very busy day, but extremely productive. I am knackered now though! Tomorrow I have lots of paper work to do which I cannot shirk, because if I don't do it, I will not be offered work this year by the company I work for who send me abroad, (I won't bore you with the details). I know I am going to be frustrated as the weather is forecast to be fine tomorrow. I hope that if I work hard I will have some time to go and collect more of the cut wood on the tow path which is still plentiful.

We will see - watch this space.

A very tired Al

No comments: