Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter

The weather has been cold and wet for the last few days and it's looking like it is not going to change soon either. It has meant that I have finally finished all the cleaning and tidying on the boat and it is looking beautiful:

I even polished the coal scuttles!!!!






However, even the damp drizzle couldn't keep me in all day and I spent some time doing outside chores such as chopping wood and filling up with water. I also did some work on our allotment, digging it over and chucking out the stones and weeds. It just needs a rake over and it will be ready for planting out, exciting stuff!




The allotment is 5 minutes walk from the marina, near to the brand new village hall. The council are investing a lot of money in the village with a view to expanding these facilities, so we are hoping to get a bigger patch on which we can put up a shed. Half way between the allotment and the marina is our local pub which sells my favourite pint of real ale, so I can envisage a detour on the way home after an afternoons digging and planting, it couldn't have worked out better!

On that subject I have worked hard today, so felt I had earned a meal out. We went to one of our favourite pubs near the estuary and had a lovely meal.

Over dinner we discussed our current situation and are very pleased with the way our life is panning out. However a couple of recent 'incidents' on our marina have unsettled us a little bit and we discussed strategies for dealing with these things which get in the way of the 'quiet life' we have opted for. I know I paint a very positive picture of life on a narrow boat, but it's not all 'castles and roses' living on the canal. However I am very much a 'glass half full person' and I believe that every problem has a solution. I will post how we deal with these issues in future blogs.

Al



No comments: