Sunday, April 15, 2012

Hard Labour

Today we don't seem to have stopped, but it has been lovely and all about why we moved to the boat.

We started by working on our other little boat. We have decided to sell this now as we don't really use it enough to justify the mooring fee and son number 2 has declared that he is too busy to take it out or stay on it. I have to say that it is looking lovely:




We needed to just do some tidying and touch up the paint work and also to turn it around. Our lovely neighbours, a retired couple heard that we may be going out and booked themselves in for a trip! However it started to get quite windy so we decided to rope it around rather than risk taking it out and bouncing off other boats.


Phil stayed on the boat and started the engine ready for any emergency and I got hold of the stern and centre ropes and just swung her slowly round, bringing her smoothly back into the mooring. Phil came out of the boat looking incredulous, muttering something about that helmsmans course I had attended being well worth the money, threw a rope at me and suggested I tie her up using my 'extensive knowledge of knots' seeing as I thought I was so clever. Hmmmm I think that meant I had done quite a good job!

The next jobs were related to our main boat. I filled up with fresh water, washed the outside, swept out and laid the fire.

We then turned our attention to the allotment and while T and I went to get some more produce and compost, Phil was watching the retired couple on the next berth struggling with their patch of garden which has been badly neglected over the past couple of years (by the previous occupants). To cut a long story short we signed ourselves up for weeding it this afternoon, so when T and I arrived back having bought cabbage and cauliflower for the allotment and some herbs for the top of our boats we already had our work cut out.

Yesterday we bought a trailer from a friend for our wood collecting:


.... so Phil spent the afternoon painting it and generally tidying it up, while I dug and weeded next door's little garden. I also potted some lettuce and herbs for our little garden at the end of our berth:


We have lettuce, ginger, lavender, chives and rosemary.

While I was pottering around, I saw the my first swallow of the year which was great:


As the weather was good, many people were out and we saw lots of boater friends of ours who had sailed up to our part of the cut and who dropped in to see us. It was fantastic to catch up with so many lovely people and to chat to other friends on the marina. It was reassuring to have a laugh and a joke and to realise that actually it takes a lot for me to have a problem with anyone and if I do, I should trust my instincts and not just think that I am intolerant!

Our neighbour A on the other side of us has had a few meals with us over the last week. I always cook too much and he is a single lad on his own so it is easy to include him. He is very appreciative and as a 'Thank you' he gave us a lottery ticket last night which won us a tenner.

Jack the whippet had a great time turning up on a regular basis and playing us off against T his owner, trying to get scraps and biscuits out of both of us. He did get some beef and gravy from the beef dinner I cooked tonight though.

We are now just sitting down probably for the first time today so I think we will sleep well tonight....

Good night ...

Al :)

No comments: