Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Life and Death

This weekend I went to a 21st birthday party. The family are lovely and it was great to see a girl I have known for many years grow into a mature and confident young person just about to finish university and go out into the world. My youngest son was born two weeks after her and although I didn't know them at that time the chances are that her mum and I would have been at the same time at the local hospital at antenatal clinics etc. It's funny how our paths cross in life.

Contrast that scenario with this morning when we attended the funeral of the wife of one of our old neighbours. They had both come to see us at the boat this time last year and they were one of the few couples who were totally positive about our decision. We talked about life being short and needing to do things because you don't know what is around the corner. They both seemed fit and healthy, but in reality she was already riddled with cancer and in less than a year she is dead.

It brought home to me how important it is to grab life with both hands and 'go for it'. As Oscar Wilde said:

'To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all'.

Many people were so dubious about us selling our house and moving onto a boat, they were real 'prophets of doom'! It has been very satisfying proving them wrong! I don't mean to sound smug when I say that. I am very aware that our lifestyle would not suit many people and it is hard work, especially physically, but for me it has been a life saver, I was just not prepared to work myself into the ground just to pay the mortgage any more. I wanted some quality of life, I didn't just want to 'exist'

I am glad to say that our neighbour left a lovely legacy as in the words of one of my all time heroes, Ralph Waldo Emerson:

'To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition. To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.'

When we got back, I took Jack for a long walk, filled the boat with fresh water,chopped some wood, lit the fire, put a beef stew in the slow cooker and made some mince pies. The simplicity of it all is the best thing in the world and it engages all the senses, the bird song on the tow path, the sunset over the trees, the smell of our tea and the tiredness in the limbs from hauling coal, chopping wood etc. I personally don't think you can beat it! I certainly feel I have succeeded, I think I can tick a few of Mr Emerson's boxes.

Al :)

No comments: