Thursday, January 26, 2012

Snug as a Bug

I had been out all morning, meeting up with my business partner to discuss our websites, which are very much 'work in progress' at the moment.

It is a cold, wet, drab day and despite my spirits never usually being dampened by the weather (or anything else for that matter!), I felt quite miserable by the time I got back to the boat. I felt really cold and hadn't been able to get warm all morning.

P was bored having been on his own all morning and from being stuck on the boat unable to do anything due to the weather. So we decided to go and find a nice warm cafe for lunch. We drove out into the countryside and before we arrived at said cafe, we passed a very inviting looking pub and decided that, with petrol prices going up in the near future it would be prudent to curtail our journey and swop the cafe lunch for the pub. I know it's a hardship but sometimes these things have to be done!

Although it was a nice lunch, I still hadn't warmed up when we left the pub and I was starting to think I was getting a chill. After a quick shop to get some food in for tea, we shot back to the boat. We arrived back during a vicious hail storm and made a dash for it. The wave of comforting warm air which hit me as I opened the hatch was the best feeling in the world! We had banked up the fire before going out for lunch and the temparature was georgous, accompanied by that lovely smell of wood, coal and the remains of some aromatherapy oils I had burnt last night.

I decided that as I had only had a soft drink at the pub, a warming little glass of sloe gin would just finish off my feeling of total well being and it certainly has! I now feel warm, cosy and very happy in our lovely floating home.

Long may it continue

P.S. Our case study is now on a website which gives excellent information for anyone thinking of moving to a boat - www.livingonanarrowboat.co.uk
Al :)

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Wow, you're really lucky. We've just bought our first little narrowboat, so are new to it all! I would love to sell up and live on one permanently but sadly, circumstances don't yet allow. I wish you luck though, sounds like you've made exactly the right decision!!!

Cheryl
NB Tadpole

Unknown said...

Hi Cheryl,
Yes we do feel very lucky. It took us a while to sell up and finally move aboard which was good, as it gave us time to get rid of all our household stuff and get our heads round it. So don't worry if your circumstances aren't right just at the moment,there is plenty of time and you are doing the right thing by trying out a boat first before selling up.
Alice
P.S. I love the name of your boat!